Portenta Machine Control: Add a powerful brain to your machines
Arduino Pro is introducing a powerful new member of the Portenta product family, the Portenta Machine Control. It’s a fully-centralized, low-power, industrial control unit able to drive equipment and machinery. Plus, you can program it using the Arduino framework or other embedded development platforms.
Thanks to its computing power, the Portenta Machine Control enables a wide range of predictive maintenance and AI use cases. It enables the collection of real-time data from the factory floor, while supporting remote control of equipment, including from the cloud.
Key benefits include:
- Shorter time-to-market
- Enhance existing products
- Add connectivity for monitoring, as well as control
- Each I/O pin can be configured, so you can tailor it to your needs
- Make equipment smarter, as well as AI-ready
- Provide security and robustness from the ground up
- Open new business model opportunities (such as servitization)
- Interact with your equipment with advanced human-machine interfaces (HMI)
- Modular design for adaptation, expansion and upgrades
Business as a Service
The Portenta Machine Control allows companies to enable new business-as-a-service models. You can monitor customer usage of equipment for predictive maintenance while gathering valuable production data.
The device enables industry standard soft-PLC control. Because of this, it’s able to connect to a range of external sensors and actuators. For example, the following options are all available.
- Isolated digital I/O, 4-20mA compatible analog I/O
- Three configurable temperature channels
- Dedicated I2C connector.
Multiple choices are available for network connectivity, including USB, Ethernet and WiFi and BLE. Furthermore, it offers impressive compatibility through industry specific protocols such as RS485. All I/O are protected by resettable fuses, but on-board power management ensures maximum reliability in harsh environments.
The Portenta Machine Control core runs an Arduino Portenta H7 microcontroller board. This is a highly reliable design operating at industrial temperature ranges (-40 °C to +85 °C). Firstly, it boasts a dual-core architecture that doesn’t require any external cooling. Secondly, thanks to this versatile processor, you can also connect external human-machine interfaces. These include displays, touch panels, keyboards, joysticks and mice to enable on-site configuration of state machines and direct manipulation of processes.
The Portenta Machine Control’s design addresses a large variety of use cases. It’s possible to configure a selection of the I/O pins in software. Because of this, it stands out as a powerful computer to unify and optimize production where one single type of hardware can serve all your needs.
Additional Portenta Machine Control Features
Furthermore, it offers these other outstanding features.
- Industrial performance leveraging the power of Arduino Portenta boards
- DIN rail compatible housing
- Push-in terminals for fast connection
- Compact size (170 x 90x 50 mm)
- Reliable design, operating at industrial temperature rates (-40 °C to +85 °C) with a dual-core architecture and no external cooling
- Embedded RTC (real time clock), for perfect synchronization of processes
- Leverage embedded connectivity without any external equipment
- CE, FCC and RoHS certified
The Portenta Machine Control can be used in multiple industries, across a wide range of machine types. For example, labelling machines, form and seal machines, cartoning machines, gluing machines, electric ovens, industrial washers and dryers, mixers and more.
As a result, adding the Portenta Machine Control to your existing processes mean you become the owner of your own solutions in the market of machines.
The Portenta Machine Control is now available for €279/$335.
Take a look here for more information and complete technical specs.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in with your Arduino account to post a comment.