Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Arduino Workshop a Roma 29-30 Sept 2012 [Arduino Tour]

Friday, August 31st, 2012

Ecco il primo di una serie di workshop che Officine Arduino organizzerà in Italia. Quale luogo migliore da cui iniziare se non la capitale? Abbiamo parlato / immaginato / organizzato con molte persone in questi mesi – da Trieste in giù – ed il buon Alex Giordano lo ha già ribattezzato come il “Tour di Arduino“. Ci accontentiamo di portare workshop dove non sono mai stati, e quindi al Sud, nelle isole. Vogliamo rispondere alle decine di mail di utenti che hanon chiesto e chiedono un workshop a casa loro.

Oggi ci accontentiamo di annunciare questo workshop, che non sarebbe stato possibile senza l’appoggio di Cattid- Centro di Ricerca sulla Comunicazione e la Tecnologia dell’Università la “Sapienza” di Roma e gli amici di DiScienza, una associazione italiana di cui abbiamo parlato spesso, organizzatori dell’annuale Arduino Day che si tiene ogni anno proprio a Roma.

Una talk pubblica su Arduino e l’Educazione, con la spiegazione di vari progetti e possibilità di fare domande e networking é prevista in venerdì 28 settembre in luogo da definirsi. Qualora foste interessati iscrivetevi qui.

Abbiamo anche cercato di venire incontro ad alcune problematiche che sorgono quando si organizzano eventi in giro. Cosa succede se non avvengono vicino a te? Proprio per questo lanciamo un servizio abbastanza rudimentale: un form in cui potete dire dove siete e noi, una volta raggiunto un certo numero di persone vi informiamo in anticipo sulle date e i posti.

Ovviamente non volevamo escludere gli utenti del vivace forum italiano, ai quali offriamo di partecipare gratuitamente alla parte di realizzazione dei progetti della domenica. Per ovvie ragioni abbiamo dovuto limitare il numero di fruitori di questo servizio (che testiamo proprio in questa occasione) al numero di 5 persone. E’ molto importante supportare piccole realtà (non tanto piccole nel caso di Roma, ovviamente) di Smanettoni Arduinici Urbani (i famosi SAU).

Dubbi, domande, perplessità? visitate la pagina del workshop o scrivete a d.gomba(at)arduino.cc

Digital artist Julien Bayle [Interview]

Friday, August 31st, 2012

Julien Bayle is a digital artist and technology developer, and his work is an excellent starting point for anyone interested in the DIY man-machine interfaces.

Back in 2008, Julien created a clone of the Monome, a control surface consisting in a matrix of leds and buttons whose functioning is defined by software.  It was called Bonome and RGB leds were used, instead of  monochromatic leds of the standard model.  Here are the instructions to build it.

Some time later, inspired by the DIY controller used by Monolake, Julien decided to build its own Protodeck to control Ableton Live.

Recently I stumbled upon his post titled “Arduino is the Power” and I discovered that Julien has started writing a book about the Arduino platform. So I thought that regular readers of the Arduino Blog would welcome an interview with this interesting guy. And here it is!

Andrea Reali: Tell us something about you.

Julien Bayle: I’m Julien Bayle from France. I’m a digital artist and technology evangelist. I’m inside computers world since my dad bought us a Commodore 64, around 1982.
I’m working with music softwares since the first sound-trackers and I began to work with visuals too with my Amiga 500, using some first POV-like softwares.
I first began by working as an IT Security Architect by day, then I quit to be only what I am today and especially to be really free to continue my travel inside art & technology.
I’m providing courses & consulting & development around open-source technology like Arduino, java/processing but also & especially with Max6 graphical programming framework which is my speciality. Max6 is really an universe itself and we’d need more than one life to discover all features. As an Ableton Certified Trainer, I’m still teaching that a bit.
All technology always provides tools to achieve art. I guess my path comes from pure technology and goes to pure art.

(more…)

Wearable Fabric on the Arduino Store

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012

We are happy to announce the first wearable kit on the Arduino Store . This kit has been made by Plug’n’Wear specifically for us. All fabrics in this kit are produced in Italy, and strongly related to a textile family business. If you want to get deeper into the story of this product have a look at Riccardo Marchesi presentation (still in Italian, soon to be traslated!) at World Wide Rome 2012.

Read over for Kit’s features

(more…)

[Interview] Dorotea Panzarella (Emmo)

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012

Emmo is a ludic and interactive artifact for visually impaired children (age 4-6 y.) based on RFID technology. It is meant to motivate spatial exploration and helping children to develop the capability of creating mental topological maps.
The toy includes lighting and sounding elements for a treasure hunt, a space-related memory game. This activity is improving attention and acoustic capabilities.
The goal of the game is detecting each of the seven lighting elements according to the sound. The player is helped by this “magic wand”  (finder),

Emmo’s main colours are black and white (high chromatic contrast is important to let the childern discrminate colours); lights & sound are further aid, marking different phases of the game.
The command interface is pretty simple and visible. Buttons can be distinguished by colour and shape.
The toy elements are designed in order meet childern needs and  technology requirements.

Emmo prototype

We asked Dototea Panzarella to answer few questions regarding her project.

(more…)

Introducing Maker – Michael Shiloh

Thursday, July 12th, 2012

photo by Scott Beale / Laughing Squid

Teach me to make” as simple as it sounds is a simple yet powerful effort on wordpress by a maker from USA. Apart from being a true maker, Michael Shiloh is an absolutely delightful and an approachable person to talk to. His sense of purpose in his work was very much apparent in my short, yet interesting conversation with him. Here are some widely and less known things about the teacher, student and entrepreneur.

Priya: What brought your interest in electronics? What is the very first project that you fondly remember completing till date?
Michael: Ever since I remember, I have been taking things apart and putting them back. The important thing is to pay attention to details while doing that. Like, where the screw fits, what part goes where, what are the names of the parts etc. even if one is not able to know the full functioning one should be able to call the parts by the name and know where they fit and what they do. Growing up at a time with limited resources, left only one option of harvesting old electronic parts. I suggest every aspiring-maker to do that!

(Gives a pause) As for the finishing part, I never finished a lot of projects, and I had a LOT of unfinished projects sitting around me in my room. But the important part was, that I caught hold of a lot of basics while making them. Not stopping, is important.

P: What drives your passion for Arduino and open source hardware?
M: 10 years back, I started a project called Teleo based on PIC which was on similar lines as an Arduino, just not with an IDE. Hence, a simple prototype for students to interact has always been my passion.

P: You talk about 3 methods of your teaching – contraption building, physical computing, and open source advocacy. What is Contraption building as defined by you?
M: Interesting question! :) Contraption, is an idea of a prototype in its raw un-polished form. It is the fastest way to check if what you assume in theory is in fact practical or not. I always encourage contraption as it makes understanding and explaining easier of the internal working mechanisms of an idea.

P: How is it different from Physical computing?
M: Contraption building, may or may not include electronics. It can be purely mechanical, say, just a few wheels, pulleys and a rubber band? Physical computing on the other hand needs an inclusion of electronics.

P: What do you think is the right approach to Advocate Open source hardware?
M: The right approach is to teach the concept of sharing knowledge, Eg: Pythagoras Theorem. Its a shared piece of knowledge which is applied everywhere, new theorems are proven using the age old theorem. The strength of Open source hardware is not only the product, but what people do using the product.

P: In all your teaching classes, What do you think is the biggest attraction for any individual towards Arduino?
M: (Laughs) I am yet to find a concept or topic where Arduino has not been used. Type on google, ‘The concept + Arduino’ and voila! You have an application. BE it gardening, space, music or photography, name your interest and there is a way to tinker with it using an Arduino.

P: We hear a lot about media art, as a concept these days. What is special about adding electronics to art?
M: Any Art installation with electronics is based on sensors and actuators. Arduino helps the artist to manipulate the idea in his head and give a more personal and interactive approach to a previously ‘look-but-don’t-touch’ art. Let me call it a more knowledgeable way of interacting?

P: Since you have taken so many workshops and visited so many hackerspaces, what are the few useful tips you might want to give to the maker at home?
M: The most important thing is, to have a space. Space defines purpose. The next is organizing the tools that you have. In my times, I used old shoe boxes with egg-cartons inside to separate the resistors, LEDs and potentiometers. Harvest old electronic items and know what they are used for, they might come of use later. A multimeter is a must have. So are tiny components like LEDs etc. To add intelligence a programing board would be useful, and arduino has a great community support for a maker even at the middle of the night!

Never get intimidated by others polished presentations. The more raw your circuit is, the better it is appreciated among the maker community. Do share the knowledge, including the success and including the failures.

P: What is your role as a part of Arduino?
M: Let me see… We can call it Community Liason. Ill take care of all the minor bugs, wishlist and major issues, bridging the gap between developers and the community.
P: Wow! That sounds exciting! On a separate note, what would be your Ideal birthday gift?
M: Since there is SO much to build and manage, that would be – time. ;)

A full bios of Michael alongwith his latest work can be read here.

Arduino Camp 2012

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012

Gli hackers credono di poter apprendere lezioni essenziali sui sistemi (sul mondo) smontando le cose, vedendo come funzionano, ed utilizzare questa conoscenza per creare cose nuove e più interessanti.

Steven Levy

Domenica 17 Giugno alle Officine Arduino una quarantina di persone hanno dimostrato la veridicita’ dell’affermazione di S. Levy.

Dall’anno scorso Arduino organizza in Italia l’Arduino Camp , un evento di due giorni che vede il primo giorno dedicato a presentazioni e talk su Arduino, seguito da un secondo giorno di Hack Day su un tema. per vedere video e foto dell’evento consulta il set su Flickr.

ArduinoCamp12__71

Il tema dell’HackDay di quest’anno era costruire un’ orologio/sveglia utilizzando Arduino, un circuito integrato RTC PCF8563 (con quarzo da 32.768 kHz) ed una montagnetta di rifiuti da cui attingere.

Divisi in gruppi di 4 o cinque persone, in poche ore i partecipanti hanno realizzato il proprio progetto. Potete leggere il resoconto della giornata qui.

La giuria (composta da Aurelio Balestra, Massimo Poti’, Fabio Varesano, Uwe Federer e Federico) alle 17 :30 ha iniziato ad esaminare i risultati dei vari gruppi ed ha decretato come vincitori il gruppo Clock Cloud, che ha creato un manufatto riciclando un vecchio giradischi e sostituendo gran parte della meccanica e dell’elettronica interne con una scheda Arduino Uno, uno shield Ethernet , un buzzer, uno stepper motor e varie parti meccaniche per  realizzare un riduttore.

Il gruppo, composto da Stella, Giulio, Bissaorboea e Diego cosi’  descrive il funzionamento dell’ oggetto:

Il sistema sfrutta le API di Google per leggere la presenza di un allarme sul Google Calendar e l’ora corrente. Arduino pilota lo stepper all’ora corretta e se c’è un allarme attivo provvede a far suonare il buzzer. L’intera modifica ha preservato l’aspetto fisico e conservato il design utilizzando i caratteri e i colori del tempo.

Un lavoro ben fatto, che prevedeva addirittura dei gadget per la campagna di lancio sul mercato!

Congratulazioni ai vincitori, un grosso ringraziamento ai partecipanti ed ai volontari che hanno prestato aiuto ed a Toolbox per il supporto.

Arrivederci al prossimo Arduino Camp.

UPDATE: date un occhio alle nostre foto del Camp nel set di Flickr.

grazie a @jelenoir per il report grafico!

Il discorso di Massimo é online (dal 38esimo min, a meno che non vi piaccia il verde) qui
http://bambuser.com/v/2753842
un video dei pecha kucha qui.
http://bambuser.com/v/2755090

Massimo's Talk at TEDGlobal

Wednesday, June 27th, 2012

We are really thrilled to blog Massimo’s delightful talk of yesterday about Arduino and the open hardware movement: TED team chose it to be the first video to be traslated and released for everybody to see.

Enjoy!

Massimo’s Talk at TEDGlobal

Wednesday, June 27th, 2012

We are really thrilled to blog Massimo’s delightful talk of yesterday about Arduino and the open hardware movement: TED team chose it to be the first video to be traslated and released for everybody to see.

Enjoy!

Arduino Barcamp Zaragoza 2012

Friday, June 15th, 2012

Arduteka - Arduino Barcamp Zaragoza 2012

Arduteka en colaboración con Cooking Hacks y Milla Digital del ayuntamiento de Zaragoza han preparado un evento con capacidad para más de 400 personas en uno de los edificios más emblemáticos de la ciudad, el Antiguo Seminario Metropolitano de Zaragoza transformando en una moderna Ciudad Administrativa Municipal y que amablemente han cedido para organizar el evento.

Desde charlas sobre arte interactivo con Arduino como interface, pasando por talleres sobre impresión 3D hasta demostración de integración de Arduino con Asterisk será solo una parte de lo que vamos a poder disfrutar, ya que estarán habilitados diferentes Stands como el de Parrot, en que podremos probar el nuevo Ar-Drone 2.0, el de Cooking Hacks que nos amenizarán con micro talleres Arduino e incluso el de nuestros amigos de Ultra-Lab que seguro hará las delicias de los asistentes.

Por si esto fuera poco.. Contaremos con la presencia y colaboración de David Cuartielles, el cual nos ofrecerá una charla sobre los últimos productos Arduino que se está aconteciendo…

Accede ahora a toda la información en la nueva web de Arduteka AQUÍ e inscríbete!!

Te lo vas a perder??

Via | Arduteka

Reminder: Open Hardware Summit submissions due next week.

Friday, May 25th, 2012

The submission deadline for the Open Hardware Summit is next Thursday, May 31st. If you’re doing something cool with open-source hardware and would like to present it as a talk, demo, or poster, check out the call for submissions and send in your proposal! The submissions are fairly informal and short (only a page or two), so there’s still time to put something together. The summit itself will be held on September 27th at Eyebeam in New York City.

Here’s some more information from the call:

The Open Hardware Summit (OHS) invites submissions for the third annual summit, to be held on September 27, 2012 at Eyebeam Art + Technology Center in New York City. The Open Hardware Summit is a venue to present, discuss, and learn about open hardware of all kinds. The summit examines open hardware and its relation to other issues, such as software, design, business, law, and education. We are seeking submissions for talks, posters, and demos from individuals and groups working with open hardware and related areas. Submissions are due by May 31, 2012 BY 11:59pm (EST). Notification of accepted proposals will happen by July 8th, 2012.

Full details here.